Saturday, February 11th, 2012 | Author:

Before the earthquake in 2010, I had only seen old pictures of Haiti from Toussaint l’Ouverture’s slave rebellion from my French textbooks.  The land in the background of the pictures was lush and full of palm , bushes and tall, tropical trees.

So I always imagined Haiti as some sort of beautiful, jungle-covered island.  You can imagine my surprise when I saw pictures of Haiti that looked like this:

This is an aerial photograph of the border between the Dominican Republic and Haiti.  The Dominican Republic is full of those lush tropical trees I always imagined, while Haiti’s side is extremely dry and bare.  Only a few shrubs and bushes are left on the Haitian side of the border, and 1% of the trees are left.  How could so many trees be destroyed?

We learned in class that many Haitians chop down the trees to use as firewood, or turn it into charcoal to sell at the local market.  For a day or so, they can have some fuel, hot food and money for their families.  However, when they run out of food and charcoal, they have little choice but to cut down more trees for more firewood and charcoal to sell.  Our class discovered that the large amount of deforestation from a growing population causes the roads to collapse from looser soil, since there are less trees to hold the soil together with their roots.

This made me wonder why Haitians if could get jobs that would provide a steadier income without destroying the remaining forest.  After all, Haiti used to have thriving farms and sugar plantations.  Yet the presence of these farms and plantations may have made the problem of deforestation even worse.  They had to clear the forests for these plantations and farms, and the lack of trees caused the soil to become loose and erode away.  The Haitians can’t hunt for food, because there are few animals left to live among the trees.  They could fish, but the soil from the landslides and eroded landscape has polluted their streams, along with human waste from the cities.  Haiti can’t attract foreign businesses the citizens can work for, because Haitians citizens have a hard enough time finding clean water, food and shelter for themselves, not to mention dealing with the corrupt government.

How can Haitians save their lost forest without losing their daily food and fuel?  They could plant trees, but where would they get the seeds?  Can they do this despite the questionable policies of the government?  Are the Haitians doomed to relive the cycle of poverty and resource loss over and over again?

– Katie D., 11 AM class

“Deforestation Won’t Stop Killing Haitians.”  Ekspoze! -The Final Word, n.d. JPG.
  Dubois, Laurent, and John D. Garrigus.  Slave Revolution in the Caribbean, 1789-1804: A Brief History with Documents. First ed. Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2006.  Illustration.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
  1. kdiemer54 says:

I was surprised how verdant Haiti looked in the paintings. It looks like a rainforest – or like the Dominican Republic today. It’s so barren now. As we stated in class, maybe Haitians could utilize the environment to provide jobs for themselves, like cleaning up pollution in water and regulating the land themselves.

2. Dr. Szulczewski says:

I love how you used historical documents- like an old painting- to examine this environmental problem. Really great post!